Melanoma, the most deadly of skin cancers, has an increasing worldwide incidence with more than 96,000 people diagnosed annually in the US and 16,200 in the UK.[2,3]
Currently, disease staging and risk of spread (metastasis) is based on the microscopic appearance/depth of the original tumour according to the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) staging criteria.[4,5] In this system, melanomas classified as early (Stage I) tumours are treated by surgical excision and all patients are followed up clinically for up to 5 years post-diagnosis.[4,5] However, only 15% or fewer patients with early AJCC stage I or II melanomas will go on to develop metastases. There is an urgent need for better risk stratification of melanomas to spare the remaining 85% of patients from the psychological and time burden of standard follow-up protocols and reduce unnecessary pressure on health systems.
Melanoma Skin Cancer (ICD-10 C43), European
Age-Standardised Incidence Rates, UK, 1993–2017
Melanoma Skin Cancer (ICD-10 C43), European Age-Standardised Incidence Rates, UK, 1993–2017
Our prognostic test for melanoma:
making it available to those in need
AMLo Biosciences aims to deliver our prognostic biomarker test (AMBLor®) to non-ulcerated AJCC Stage I and II cutaneous melanomas, which represent approximately 91% of all cases at initial presentation.
AMLo Biosciences is registering AMBLor® in the major global territories, making our prognostic test for melanoma available to those in need.
AJCC Stage I & II cutaneous melanomas 
Only 15% of Stage I & II tumours develop metastatic disease [5,6]
By identifying those at low risk of progression at an early stage, we aim to reduce the physiological and psychological burden and increase reassurance for those individuals.
We put patients at the heart of everything we do
AMLo Biosciences is committed to:
- Reducing mortality from malignant melanoma by accurately identifying the risk of metastatic disease in early-stage melanomas using our simple and cost-effective immunohistochemical test—AMBLor®
- Providing peace of mind for patients with melanoma that are truly at low-risk of disease progression, by providing them with an accurate determination of their true risk of progression
- Improving patient outcomes and reducing the financial burden of melanoma on global healthcare economies
Active patient involvement from the very start
AMLo Biosciences’ aim of putting patients at the centre of everything we do is not only applied to our products. We have actively encouraged involvement of melanoma patients, their carers and their families, as well as patient organisations such as Melanoma Focus and the British Skin Foundation, in the development of our company.
In the past few years, projects associated with the development of AMBLor® have attracted nearly £2 million in research funding and £2.4 million in equity funding.
We actively disseminate research findings through our associated melanoma patient support group (over 50 members at South Tees Hospitals, United Kingdom). In return, we are able to receive feedback on our work and future project planning from the public, who ultimately will benefit most from our discoveries.
AMLo Biosciences Limited is a company registered in England and Wales. Company # 11004534
Trading address: Office 9, The Biosphere, Drayman's Way, Newcastle Helix, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 5BX
Registered address: c/o RMT Accountants & Business Advisors Ltd, Gosforth Park Avenue, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8EG, United Kingdom
VAT # 285288950
Sign up for our newsletter